Powered By Blogger

Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Budget Bites

Since we have been on escrow I have been finding ways to budget our income and bills so we don't end up broke. I would say the biggest issue we have is our grocery bills. I admit Jake and I suck at meal planning and we always have. We would have a planned 5 day dinner and then after that week we would end up the way we were in the beginning. Jake and I have always planned dinner that day, yes that means going to the grocery store everyday. It's a routine we have, I take care of Audrina during the day until 4 then he takes care of her from 4-9. I usually get the groceries for dinner and he will cook it right before I come home. So yes we eat dinner at like 9:30 sometimes 10 at night. Some days I will make a crock pot meal or prepare things ahead of time so dinner will be done right at 9. Either way I am still ending up going to the grocery store almost everyday. With that said you spend waaaaaaaaay more going grocery shopping everyday. I have the issue of finding fun interesting things I want to bake or cook for lunch and it always ends in me spending more then $20 on groceries for that day. Instead of planning ahead I am basically throwing money away on unnecessary purchases. So my goal for this year is to budget. Budget my food. We are three tiny people and we should not be spending that much on groceries. Now tell me what do you do for budget and how do you stick to it? My budget plan is $125 a week on groceries, we home make all our dinners and maybe go out to eat 2-3 times in a month. I try to eat less processed items, but not all. A and I eat A LOT of fruit and trail mixes, dried fruits and yogurt. Please give me some advice on budgeting groceries. I would coupon, but a lot of coupons are for crap processed food and sodas, and we don't eat much of that stuff. I was thinking of going to the co op, still haven't been in there before. Advice PLEASE!

2 comments:

  1. When I shifted from going to the store whenever we needed to going once per week (on a specific day of the week) we began saving quite a bit. It helps to do a basic meal plan for dinners so you are only buying what you need for those meals and not much else. I know there are advantages to buying a ton of something when it is on sale, but if you are just starting to budget for groceries I think that the simpler the better. Simply staying out of the store other than once each week will be huge! Also, for meal planning check out http://e-mealz.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. first, congrats on the house! So happy for you!
    Second, it's hard and sometimes it sucks. But planning for the entire week really does help. And you are right about the coupons, there isn't much for groceries. I use them mainly for toothpaste, shampoo, etc. Budget $125/week, that is a good number. Try it for a few months and then adjust it if you need to. Budget your meals "out" in a separate place instead of as part of your grocery money, like "fun money" or "date night allowance." Then you aren't taking money our of your grocery budget for it. Then, of course stalk up on meats when you get a good deal and throw them in the freezer. I feel like chicken is the most expensive part of my budget! Just remember though, shopping for kids can be hard so you really have to just do what works for your family!

    ReplyDelete